Thursday, October 29, 2009

I'm Back from People to People

Hello Everybody, I'm back from going to People to People. When it came time to leave to come home, I didn't want to leave.

First Day: When I woke up the morning I had to leave, I was, like everybody would be, nervous. I got up, got dressed and went down stairs to have breakfast. After breakfast, I brushed my teeth and got ready to go to the airport. Then it was finally time to go. I went outside, got in the car and we were off. When we got to the airport, we got my ticket and boarding pass, went through security. Then went to the gate where my plane was. There I saw someone else from San Diego who was going to the People to People Leadership Forum just like me. Here's me at the airport getting ready to get on the plane.

It took 3 hours and 50 minutes to get to Washington D.C. When I got out of the plane, people were waiting for me and took me to the hotel. There I met some new people, got my room key and found who my leader was. Then we had dinner and went up to bed.

Some of the things while I was in Washington D.C. were:
  • We saw the Iwo Jima Memorial
  • We went to the Saudi Arabia Embassy for dinner the second night. The food was yummy.
  • We saw John Kennedy's grave with the eternal flame. This was at Arlington National Cemetery.
Also at Arlington National Cemetery we saw the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. There are 4 graves but only 3 people. This is because the family of one of the soldiers found out he was there and took him some place else to bury him. My delegation manager chose me to demonstrate what they were going to do with the Changing of the Guard.


  • We went to the Supreme Court.
  • We also saw the Library of Congress.
  • We had a tour of the Capital Building.
  • We saw the WWII, the Jefferson, the Lincoln, the Franklin Roosevelt, the Vietnam, the Korean Memorials.
  • We went to the Smithsonian Air and Space, American History, the Natural History Museums.
  • We went to the Newseum.
  • We went to the International Spy Museum.
  • We went to Jamestown and Williamsburg. I was chosen to be John Smith at Jamestown by the guide there.Williamsburg had all sorts of old-fashioned shops like a silversmith and a wig maker. It had a jail cell but they thought jail was a waste of a perfect example of what would happen to the people who committed crimes. They thought they should whip or use some form of torture in front of the public so no one else would commit crimes. Then on the way home, the bus was in an accident because the guy who hit us was drunk. No body was hurt. That was a fun but long day.
  • On the last day I bought Trazz at the Natural History Museum. When I saw Trazz on the top shelf in the gift shop, it seemed like he was whispering into my ear "I need you. You need me. Come buy me and we'll be happy together."
This is Trazz.

The very last exact thing that happened in Washington D.C. while I was there we went on a dinner-dance cruise on the Potomac River. It was so cold there but after all the dancing, we were so hot we went outside. I had a really awesome time that night.

The next morning I had to get up and come home.

I enjoyed all of it and if I could go again, I would. I had a chance to go to New Orleans to help rebuild stuff from the damage of Hurricane Katrina. But that's when we're going to Yellowstone. I'd rather go help New Orleans rebuild. But there will be other opportunities to do things.

I thank my gramma and papa for sending me.

2 comments:

nancyhol said...

Casey, you wrote a great trip report! You did so many things while you were in Washington D.C. - I am tired just reading about it!

And I LOVE Trazz!

Vicky said...

Casey--no wonder you didn't answer your cell phone when I called! You were incredibly busy! Jamestown and Williamsburg TOO?

Come back anytime!

KZ in TOSCANA (or KC in So. Cal.)


WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I hope you enjoy it. And I really, really like reading comments.

Do you see "Some of my Blog Followers" at the top of the sidebar? You can sign up as one of my blog followers, too. Just click on the Follow link above the pictures and then follow the directions. I think you need to have a blogger blog or gmail to do it. Try and see.